Thursday, August 05, 2004

Motivation and Change

I recently gave a talk about motivation to a job search group. We discussed what motivation is, why it's important, and how to get it.

Yesterday I received a lovely note from one of the attendees. He had been a VP Engineering for many years and was pursuing a post as a CEO. As a result of one of the exercises, he reconsidered what he really wanted to do. This was interesting: he had been after the top job as he seemed to feel this was the expectation from the world around him, including his retained search friends. As a result of the exercise, he realized that what he really wants is less travel, more time with his family, a fulfilling job but not the top post.

If you're curious about the exercises I gave the group, here's one of 'em.

WRITE DOWN YOUR FAVORITE ACTIVITIES AND GOALS

1. Write down five-ten favorite activities, the ones without which your life would feel empty. You should get to do your favorite activities at least weekly, and preferably, daily.

2. Write down the top five goals you want to accomplish in your career. Your selected career must enable you to reach these goals.

3. List everything you’d like to do in your lifetime. Your chosen career must allow the accomplishment of these dreams or at least, most of them.


Looking at the list and examining my own life, I've come to see that I have some changes to make, too.


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:27 AM

    This was a useful posting. I followed the instructions and learned I want to move away from management. This was a big surprise for me, but now I know I am following my heart.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Marcia and Sissy

Marcia and Sissy
I'm the one on the right.

About Me

My photo
Retired Recruiter, HR Consultant, Trainer and professional speaker, I'm interested in interviewing people, learning life stories and sharing information and resources. Book and article links are listed at www.tellmeaboutyourself.info. I am the founder and organizer of the Silicon Valley Women in Human Resources...and Friends group, a networking, mentoring and educational group.